female health matters

Personal stories about female health matters.

August 09, 2007

a menopausal hump



Bridie's husband walked out on her and the kids when she started having menopausal symptoms and although she was glad to get rid of him she is now realizing that running a business on top of being a menopausal mom is a hump she is going to have to bear for some time.

"He was a sex addict and I just wasn't interested in being his sex-toy any more," says Bridie. "I don't know whether menopause had anything to do with it – it probably did – but I was just too busy with my secretarial business and too tired at the end of the day what with the kids and everything else to bother about sex any more."

"He called me a cold fish -- and other delightful epithets," laughs Bridie, "but I think his problem was that he was jealous of my success."

"Most of the time, now, I just wish I could throw it all in and get a regular job," sighs
Bridie. "I don't know whether it is my hormones egging me on or my intuition, but whatever it is I have very strong feelings about being unable to cope."

"By the time I get the kids off to school and come home I am ready for a nap, not work," says Bridie. "And the time between then and when I pick the kids up from school is so short that I barely get anything done."

"It's absolutely abominable during the school vacation periods," says Bridie. "I am literally tearing my hair out and suffering hot flashes like you'd never believe."

"I’ve thought about HRT," says Bridie, "but I don't want to deal with all the risks that go with it."

"Most of my work I do at night -- when the kids are in their rooms, the cooking and washing up has been done and all is peaceful," says Bridie. "Sometimes I am up until 3am typing up reports and stuff for clients, and with every keystroke I am kicking myself saying what on earth am I doing this for when I could be enjoying a regular job with regular hours and people my own age around me rather than geriatric neighbors dropping by for a chat."

"If I had known that I would end up as a single parent I would never have started the business," says Bridie. "No woman can be expected to run a business, a home and a family all by herself -- especially when she is menopausal."

"I keep on telling myself that in about five years' time the kids will be all grown up, I'll be over the menopause and I'll be thankful like hell that I have a business to keep me busy," says Bridie. "All I need to do is get over this hump without falling to pieces."

Read more about Bridie:



  • good riddance to bad rubbish


  •  

    Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


    Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Female Health Matters